Sunday 23 September 2012

My Sense of Space


Project Brief

In making works of art and design we must understand the distances, areas around, between or within components of the work we produce. It becomes necessary to investigate the positive, negative, open, closed, shallow, deep, 2D, 3D and illusionary spaces that create our world. This is an exploration of the senses that create, define and interrupt our spaces.

We need to approach a sense of space as something defined by the full range of moving, perceptual, emotional, expressive, developmental and social capacities. Our sense of our space defines our relationship with the people and the places we inhabit.

This means we should investigate the differences between public and private spaces between  physical and imagined space, between geographical and narrated space.

How we sense our space necessitates an active, thoughtful, reflective, ie. Critical exploration of the aspects of our world which most excite our interest. The work you produce absolutely reflects the intensity of your active exploration.

Some things to think about:

Space The unoccupied area, by volume, between defined limits.
Shape How does shape impact on/alter space. What are the shapes which define the limits of a given space, and the area described by that special quantity.
Time The relationship between the given space and it’s relationship to measurable time
Depth How to explore depth on a 2D matrix.
Occupation How objects space and alter it.
Control How a space or an image is controlled, manipulated, rearranged etc. and why.
Positive/Negative What are positive and negative spaces
Interaction How objects interact with each other and the spaces they create and occupy.
Movement How the space is negotiated, and the behaviours required to utilize the space effectively
Manmade/organic The different nature of manmade and organic spaces.
Internal/external The different nature of internal and external spaces.
Noise The visual noise created by a space and its contents
Delicacy/Strength The impact of objects, or the lack of them, on how a space is perceived.
Power How to alter the space of something/ someplace with the use of space.
Scale The impact of scale on the space or the image
Colour The impact colour has on a space or the portrayal of a space.

Your readings of your space will be informed by your senses, your sense of your own body and how it occupies and/or responds to the space it inhabits.

While Mike Fox was giving the project brief my mind was running through what the brief meant to me. 
My sense of my space has changed over the year. How I sense my space has become a lot more tactile. I need to touch surfaces, materials and textures all the time now, especially sand, gravel, clay and stone. I initially thought this was because of going to art school, that my senses had become a lot more open to my world around me. but I went to the doctor a few months ago and discovered I'd become very run down. I was deficient in a lot of vitamins and minerals especially iron. I was anaemic. This was why I was craving to touch sand, gravel, clay and stone. I was craving the minerals and iron traces in these materials.
So I've decided to focus my sense of my space on my interaction with these materials in my environment. My environment's are shared between Tipperary, Limerick and Galway. I come from a very rural background in Turraheen Bridge, Tipperary. I work in an urban, coastal setting in Salthill in Galway and I go to college in urban Limerick city. The following are a series of photographs taken from my local environment at Turraheen Bridge, Tipperary. I was looking at texture in natural and found materials by the roadside. I'm on the road all week, travelling from Tipperary to Limerick to Galway, constantly observing texture by the roadside.
Gravel on the road

hedgegrow

cow print onto water logged soil

pattern & texture on cow's back

pattern and texture on fresh grass


tarmac




gravel 



puddle on the roadside-silt, rainwater and gravel

dirt, rust and lichen on road sign

dirt, rust and lichen on road sign

dirt, rust and lichen on road sign

puddle in a ditch by the road

puddle in a ditch by the road

Silt in a puddle by the road

lichen on stone wall by the road

clay by the ditch

clay by the ditch



stone wall

container by the road

gravel

disused house by the road

lichen & moss on galvanise 

close up of lichen on stone wall

weathered roadsign

grove of trees by the road

grove of trees by the road

grove of trees by the road

moss and growth in the middle of the road


Amoss and growth in the middle of the road




pattern on road sign

pattern on road sign


moss, lichen & growth on stone wall by road

moss, lichen & growth on stone wall by road

gravel on the road

cracked tarmac on the road





rust on red metal gate

blackberries by the roadside

mould, dirt & moss on yield road sign

mould, dirt & moss on yield road sign

Lichen and mould on stone wall by the road

wellie marks and animal prints in the clay, destroyed after this Summer's weather

puddle in the ground at gateway at the side of the road

soil and moss at the side of the road

texture of dirt and rust on road sign


No comments:

Post a Comment