Monday 2 January 2012

Movement-My journey through my life

Looking at Rachel Whiteread's work using polyester resin to represent the negative space gave me the idea of representing memories of my life in translucent resin. When I was young we used to reseed a field every year. It was our job to pick all the stones in the field that was being drained.When the land was ploughed the clay turned up all sorts of treasures. I loved collecting old bits of crockery. I found it amazing to think that a family used to live there once and now the only evidence of their lives are broken bits of crockery. I loved the designs and the colours of the crockery and the coloured glass. I especially loved the old blue willow design. At one stage we found an old mineral bottle in a ditch. I decided to combine all of these elements to make an installation of translucent resin bottles with bits of old willow crockery suspended in the resin. This process took ages. I had to make the silicone cast first.
clay base



acetate frame

silicone poured in

No comments:

Post a Comment