Saturday 19 May 2012

Silk screen printing April-May 2012



Turraheen-maps, census and photographs of the old creamery

I made silk screen prints of old maps of where I'm from. I also included census transcripts of my great grandfather's family that lived in the family homestead in 1911. A huge part of my identity comes from where I'm from, my family and where I was brought up. I've lived all over the place and I love coming home to Turraheen. It's where my family have lived for generations so I have very strong connections with the place. I added a 2012 census under the original 1911 census to convey a sense of the generations living on. I also used some of the images of the disused creamery across the road. Onec the hub of the community the creamery has been empty for over 20 years. I played around with all of the images, layering them on top of each other, beside each other etc. I also made some posterisation images of the broken window of the creamery, trying to bring it back to life again.








I reduced the size of the map to only focus in on the main areas of importance-the school, the bridge, the well and the creamery and I tore the census to reduce it to minimal information as well. I felt I had too much info on the previous prints.
more playing around with colours and the placing of images







posterisation of broken creamery window  printed onto linen cloth to  convey the cloth bags that animal meal  was sold in at the creamery







I printed images of the creamery, census and map of Turraheen on a variety of materials to symbolise the various materials that were used in the creamery-plastic fertiliser bags, hession, canvas. Had I had more time I would love to have made some silk screens on metal and wood. 

posterisation of the broken creamery window

playing around with where I'm going to position the various images-map, census, creamery images

I made a strip of prints of the map of Turraheen on a strip of linen canvas, again to evoke memories of the linen canvas bags that carried meal and food that was sold in the creamery store.
Print done on newsprint. Again playing around with placing /overlapping the images.
A snapshot of my studio wall-a combination of silk  screen prints on paper, canvas, hession and plastic


my studio wall
































No comments:

Post a Comment